Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Yallah bina ala al-blajh!

Good news! No scary email from the study abroad office today.

Today I attempted to do the (apparently) impossible: try to find a dive shop in Morocco. Morocco is not a scuba hotspot for locals or tourists. But supposedly it can be done and it's very nice if you know where to look. The two big dive shops are Terra Azul and Taff's Diving, but both of their websites are dead, so that's just peachy.

Today's Moroccan Arabic lesson of the day: Nosy neighbors
I've heard from some professors that Arabs are very open about asking and speaking about their personal lives. So if the cabbie asks if you're married, he's not (necessarily) hitting on you. Here's what you need to know to keep your personal life personal (or not).

"Do you have a boyfriend?"
Andik boyfriend? / Andik sahib?

"Do you have a girlfriend?"
Andak sahiba?

"I have a boyfriend." / "I don't have a boyfriend."
Andee sahib. / Me andeesh sahib.

"I have a girlfriend." / "I don't have a girlfriend."
Andee sahiba. / Me andeesh sahiba.

"Are you married?" (to a male) / "Are you married?" (to a female)
Wash inta muzawwaj? / Wash intee muzawwaja?

"I'm married." / "I'm not married." (female)
Ana muzawwaja. / Ana ma muzawwaja.

"I'm married." / "I'm not married." (male)
Ana muzawwaj. / Ana ma muzawwaj.

To the ladies: If you're not interested in the guy, I suggest making up a scary-sounding husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment