Monday, August 1, 2011

Al-talib min le makan

I finished the most important exam of the summer today, and it was even more difficult than I expected. I made it through, however, and now have only two more exams between now and my return to the States.

I spent all today at the language center enjoying the Internet connection and studying, so not much to report on interactions with the locals, except a random guy who accosted me in the street today, yelling in English, "Where are you from my friend?" I waved him off and he yelled after me, "You don't understand me? Where are you from? From nowhere?" It's hard to tell when people are just being inquisitive and when they have some ulterior motive (usually selling something). Either way, it's not a good sign when the first question out of their mouth is "where are you from?"

Tomorrow is the first day of Ramadan in Morocco (the starting date varies slightly from place to place) and so the experiment begins. Will I be able to fast this week? I honestly don't know. I'm not giving up water and the fact that I have exams means I may need to eat to stay sharp. But I'll do my best.

Ramadan mabrook!

No comments:

Post a Comment