Friday, August 5, 2011

Hede balad khayiba

My journey in Morocco is fast coming to an end and I will miss this place very much, especially the wonderful people I have met. I've been feeling nostalgia coming on this week and I'm tempted to write about some of the great memories I have but I think I've swept some things under the rug.

There's a lot of ugliness in Morocco. I've felt pity, sadness, frustration, and anger here. Walking in the streets of Meknes, you can't help but see the dark side of this country through the small tragedies that pass you by.

A man with no arms carries a plastic bag of food in his mouth. A father slaps his young daughter in the street and makes her carry the groceries. An older boy beats a younger boy, who picks up a rock to strike back and has to be pulled away by a friend. A young man huffs paint-thinner out of a surgical glove. A pregnant cat searches for food while another lies dead underneath a tree. Alleys are lined with piles of garbage and puddles of piss.

I have interacted with people here who are brutish and aggressive. Beggars and shopkeepers and greedy and dishonest. Today I was in a taxi while the driver ogled and catcalled young women as he passed them. He turns to me and says, "I was just trying to talk to her. What's her problem?"

Women are willfully submissive and ignorant in deference to their husbands. Men are willfully submissive and ignorant in deference to their government.

I don't know how to end this post. But I think it's important to mention the problems that persist here. Especially because Moroccans rarely do so.

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me so sad. I think this entire experience not only brings light to all the wrong that is going on there, but it also tells a lot about you and your character. I don't think many people can be completely immersed in another culture, see what you see on a day-to-day basis, accept the lifestyle, remain silent, get food poisoning, and yet still say you'll miss the place very much once the journey is over. I'm so happy that you got to experience this and that I had the opportunity to read all about it. Enjoy your final days in Morocco and I will see you next Saturday!! Love you!

    ..I posted as Anonymous since my comment was slightly opinionated. You should know who this is though. :)

    ReplyDelete