Sunday, July 3, 2011

Leila fi Dar al-Bayda

This evening I returned from (surprise!) Casablanca! The one city in Morocco that everybody knows about because of some movie whose name I keep forgetting...
Casablanca is called Dar al-Bayda in Morocco (it's a direct translation) but everyone will know what you mean if you say "Casablanca" or "Casa," which are also widely used.

I'm totally exhausted and I have class in the morning so I will say more about Casablanca in tomorrow's post. However, here are some highlights:

1. Visiting the largest mosque in Morocco, and the third largest in the world (source: some Moroccans).
2. Walking along the Corniche and finding shady nightclubs with names like Club Vice and BOOOOM BOOOOM ROOOOM.
3. Seeing a woman with a hijab wearing a tee shirt that read JUICY IS THE NEW BLACK.
4. My host dad informing me that 9/11 was a conspiracy.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment