Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ya yumkinsh nafooq kul yom fisabah bakry

Today after class I went to study with some friends in the language center when we all got hungry. We walked over to a nearby hanoot to find some snacks. I'm partial to a tasty brand of coconut-flavored crackers that costs a dirham per packet (~13 cents). Today I also discovered a snack called Rondos that has a cartoon turtle on the packet and consists of cheerio-looking crisps that are "Cheese and Ketchup" flavored. I dared a friend of mine to buy a packet and we each tried one out of morbid curiosity. Our opinions varied from "tasteless" to "disgusting" to "fishy" to a look of betrayal.

Weekend plans are still up in the air for many students, including myself. I was hoping to go camping, but that would require renting a car. In theory this is possible, as rental car shops can be found everywhere. A friend of mine went to investigate, and told me that she visited every single shop she could find in the Hamariya and apparently none of them have cars available. It seems to be a trend that Moroccans will advertise that they sell something and then when you request said item, they look at you as if you're crazy.

I invited my friend to tea at my host stay and we had a wonderful conversation with my host family about religion, clothing, food, and local history. I have to say that the conversations I have with my host family makes my language partner appointments seem like a waste of time.

Pictured above is a portrait of Mohamad al-Sadiss (Mohamad VI), the current king of Morocco, looking jaunty at a ski resort. Portraits like these are hung in most public places in Morocco, and include pictures of the king in military uniform, sitting in his throne, drinking tea, playing golf, with his family, etc. etc. I wonder if a line of trading cards featuring these portraits would be a successful venture in Morocco.

Everyone has ants in their pants about getting back to the States. We're all tired of homework and missing things like Chinese food and the First Amendment.

I took a picture of the car door of a taxi kebeer because I was so impressed by the wallpaper. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Rowr.

1 comment:

  1. So exotic...just like you!

    Rowr, indeed. ;)

    COME HOME.

    ReplyDelete