Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Alqaeda aloola lilmusafireen filalem alaraby

Today was the first day of Arabic classes and we got off to a rough start. And by rough start I mean our program director walked up to us in the lobby of the hotel where a group of us were hanging out and handed out a surprise homework assignment the night before classes. I was among the first to finish and it took me two hours. For most people it took three (they probably worked harder). A popular phrase among students of Arabic is "Learning Arabic is like being in an abusive relationship." This is a truism if there ever was one.
I know the title of this blog contains the word "al-qaeda" but don't freak out. "Qaeda" in Arabic simply means rule (such as a grammar rule), or base (as in "kurat alqaeda," or baseball). So the title reads: "The first rule for tourists in the Arab World."
That rule is: Do not imitate or make fun of the azaan (the call to prayer). It is broadcast everywhere around Meknes and most other medium-to-large Arab cities. I admit, I still haven't gotten over the fact that it sounds really weird, and even funny (I was walking alone one night when it started and I jumped because I thought someone was yelling "Boooooooooo!" to scare me). I have heard so many students imitate it mockingly in front of locals. This is extremely offensive to Muslims and violates the first rule of personal safety that anyone (including the US Department of State) will tell you. It's funny, it's tempting, don't do it.
On a personal note, my roommate is a great guy and we get along well. There's only one problem: he snores really, really loud. Louder than I have ever heard before (and I know plenty of snorers). It sounds like jackhammers at a construction site. It sounds like a herd of cows being slowly suffocated. It's so loud he wakes himself up, wallahy (I swear to God). I'm guessing I lost an hour of sleep last night, and it's not the first time. Time to get some earplugs.
Lastly, I learned two things about traffic in Morocco. First, there is no yellow light. Second, cars do not stop for you. Taxis NEVER stop for you. I'm convinced that if a bus driver runs me over, he won't even blink. Third, if there is even a minor bottleneck, at least one person will drive into the left lanes and weave through oncoming traffic to avoid it. I do not understand.

1 comment:

  1. Another rule for student tourists: Avoid taxis, avoid buses, and only cross a road if there's no one driving on it. --One of the Dismayed

    ReplyDelete