Saturday, June 18, 2011

Keefash nastamal almirhad?

Today I had to ask my host family a very embarrassing question: How do I use the bathroom?

I went into the bathroom assuming it was like any other bathroom I had ever been in. But as soon as I opened the door, I understood otherwise. Most of it is your standard fare: toilet on the left, sink on the right, but in the back corner, the builder had carved out a square, about 3 feet by 3 feet that was about 4 inches deeper than the rest of the bathroom with a small drain. In this depression was a stool and above it, on the wall, was a shower head. I decided I would figure it out later and I walked up to the toilet, did my business and then reached out for the...

There was no flush handle.

There was instead what looked like a knob attached to a long screw on top of the toilet. I pushed on it. I turned it. Nothing doing. So this prompted me to ask the lady of the house how to use the toilet. She showed me that you had to turn a small knob on the side of the toilet to start the flow of water and then pull UP on the knob thing (Morocco: 1, America: 0).

Then she showed me that the shower worked just like a normal shower in theory. In practice, the space in which to shower is so small that I couldn't turn around without hitting the knobs and changing the temperature. Unused to showering without a curtain, I sprayed water all over the floor, despite my slow, measured movements.

When you travel to Morocco, every day is a new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment