Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fil fanadiq

I wrote a short blog post yesterday on the plane but I couldn't post it, so I'll include it in today's post.

June 1
At the airport. I was hoping the flight to orientation would go smoothly, but of course I'm flying United, so delays caused me to miss my connection. and I have to wait for the next flight. There's a special place in hell for the people who run this airline [UPDATE: the next flight was no better].
This is particularly disappointing because I was hoping to hook up with some friends when I arrive to share a taxi to orientation, but now I'll probably get in last. Malesh, as the Arabs say.
It's been a few days since I last posted, sorry. But I did find my Arabic phrasebook so here's the Moroccan Arabic Lesson of the Day, Air Travel Edition:

When is there a flight to Rabat?
Imta ghady takun shay tayara li Rabat?

Is it a direct flight?
Wesh arihla direct?

I'd like a ticket to Casablanca, please.
Afak begheet wahid alwaraqa lidar albayda.

I'd like to check in my luggage.
Begheet nasajil albaggage dialee.

What's the flight number?
Shahal araqam diel arihla?

June 2
At the hotel, with minutes to go to orientation. I met up with the other students and we went out to dinner and toured the National Mall at night, which was great because the monuments are lit up and the heat is (somewhat) less intense. So far I've been pleasantly surprised at how easygoing the other students are, which I'm taking as a good sign of things to come this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment