Thursday, June 23, 2011

Anwaa al-khubz al-ledida

Unfortunately due to a slow Internet connection it has been impossible to upload video of the protests I witnessed this past Sunday. I will try to visit an Internet cafe this coming week. More protests are scheduled for this coming Sunday in the capital, Rabat, in the run up to the constitutional referendum on July 1st. Protests will probably occur around the country so maybe I can get some footage of that too. If you want to learn more about the protests or the referendum, you can read about it here.

Today was a pretty slow day, though I did go to the qahwa (cafe) with my host dad. Qahwas are everywhere in Morocco, and are social centers for men to gather and drink and talk. They are constantly full and many Moroccans joke that in an eight hour work day, men spend six of them at the qahwa.

I don't usually drink coffee but I ordered some at the qahwa today. It comes in a little shot-glass sized coffee cup, just as the tea is served in what looks exactly like a tall shot glass. The coffee was very good, probably because they put so much sugar in it. They put sugar in everything.

If I leave this country without type-2 diabetes, it'll be a miracle, wallahy.

My host dad's friend joined us and brought a snack called harsha. It's basically a grilled cheese sandwich with very thin toast and tastes delightfully similar to macaroni and cheese. We talked about Moroccan foods and Moroccans' love for bread. Moroccans make so many kinds of bread and they eat it with every meal.

I won't be able to post for a couple days because I'm traveling (I'll leave the destination a surprise) but I promise I'll upload tons of pictures when I get back, insha'allah.

No comments:

Post a Comment