Saturday, June 11, 2011

Ana mareed

Yesterday was Friday, the Muslim holy day, and people gathered in crowds in the city streets to engage in public prayer and listen to the sermons that are broadcasted by speakers throughout the city. I got pretty sick from the Moroccan food I've been eating this week. I made it through class yesterday but as soon as I got back to the hotel, I knew it was time to head to bed. After spending an eternity in the bathroom, I slept for a few hours, and then after a little while I fell asleep again for good. Unfortunately, due to illness, I missed a live concert that took place in the old city last night. Today, however, I feel much better, almost back to normal.

Yesterday in class we interviewed one of our female Moroccan professors about the status of women in Morocco, and we learned some really interesting things. Women only recently gained the right to divorce their husbands for any reason. The phenomenon of men harassing women is seen to be a problem in men's way of thinking about women, and many women (including our professor) believe that only men can change this behavior and there is nothing women can do to stop it. Sex is still an extremely taboo subject of discussion in Morocco, and there is no system of sexual education in the country. Our professor said that sex is not discussed even within the family.

We also spoke with some Moroccan college students about life in Morocco and heard some very interesting opinions. For instance, one young woman, who wears the hijab (a headscarf that covers the hair and neck) said that she does not approve of women wearing the niqab (a headscarf that covers the entire face, head, and neck, leaving only the eyes exposed). She supports the ban on the niqab that was recently passed in France, and said that the niqab is a security risk.

A new lesson I learned this week is to always pay with exact change if possible. I was at a restaurant in the old city with some friends, and we haggled for a good price for some tajyeen (a stew, usually of chicken or beef topped with vegetables, made in a special covered pot, also called tajyeen). After the meal, I handed the waiter a larger bill and asked for change. He handed me back five dirham less than he owed me. I told him I needed five more and he said "That's for the tip (serveece)" before scuttling away. Pro tip for travelers to Morocco: tipping is not expected, and if you do tip, 2-3 dirhams is sufficient. I was angry, but as one of our professors says, that's the price you pay for looking foreign.

Lastly, I went with a couple friends to Pizza Hut out of curiosity. It's surprisingly classy, with a full menu, waiters, salad bar, and swanky furniture. I took pictures of the menu, and was (not surprisingly) laughed at by a group of cooks watching from the kitchen. Hopefully my embarrassment becomes your enjoyment.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving your idea to write about women's rights in Morocco. I'd be interested to see how the domestic violence stats compare to the U.S. and Latin America. Keep including it on your blog, you've got me hooked.

    And go to McDonald's next!!! I want to see what's on their menu. C:

    ReplyDelete